PhD, University of California at Davis, Ecology, 2004. Dissertation: The application of collaborative ethnobiological research towards the conservation of indigenous biocultural diversity.
MSc, University of California at Davis, International Agricultural Development, 1993. Thesis: Exploring the interface between researchers and recipients of agricultural technology: The case of soybean in Oyo State, Nigeria
BA, Boston University, Latin American Development, Magna Cum Laude, 1988. Thesis: The disaster of Armero (Colombia): An evaluative inquiry into government reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts
- 2003 – present Lecturer, San Jose State University, Humanities & Environmental Studies Departments
- 2011 – 2016 Instructor, Developing Virtue High School, City of Ten Thousand Buddhas, Ukiah, CA
- 2013 – 2015 Secretary to the Mendocino County Fish and Game Commission
- 2011 – 2014 Founder and Coordinator, Salmon Film Festival
- 2010 – 2012 Consultant to the Yurok Tribe and Tolowa Dee-ni (Smith River Rancheria)
- 2004 – 2010 Researcher/Lecturer, University of California at Davis, Plant Sciences Department/Science & Society Program
- 2007 – 2009 Research Director for Social Sciences, Earthwatch Institute (earthwatch.org)
- 2002 Lecturer, San Diego State University, Biology Department
- 1998 – 2009 Executive Director, Ethnobotanical Conservation Organization for South East Asia (ecosea.org)
- 1993 – 2007 Special Advisor, Indonesian Institute of Sciences; Indonesian Ministry of Forestry
- 1999 – 2004 Expedition Leader, University of California University Expeditions Research Program
- 1996 – 1999 Social Scientist/M&E Specialist, International Fund for Agricultural Development and UNOPS
- 1995 – 1997 Social Scientist/M&E Specialist, UN Food and Agriculture Organization/World Bank/Asian Development Bank
- 1994 – 1997 Research Associate, UC Davis Soil History and Sustainable Agriculture Project – China and Indonesia
- 2003 – present AMS/ENVS/HUM 159 – Nature and World Cultures
- 2007 – 2016 ENVS 10 – Life on a Changing Planet
- 2011 – 2016 Advanced Placement- Environmental Sciences
- 2007 SAS 1 – Critical Inquiry and Contemporary Issues
- 2005 – 2007 SAS 90C – Concepts in Herbal Medicine: Interdisciplinary Studies
- 2006 – 2007 Scientific Writing for Indonesian Forestry Researchers
- 2006 Ecotourism Workshop for Indonesian Recreational Forestry
- 2004 – 2007 SAS 198/298 – Women in Science and Engineering
- 2005 Field Methods in Assessing Tropical Biological and Cultural Diversity
- 2005 SAS 198 – Ethnoecology; The Science of Indigenous Societies
- 2003 – 2005 PLB 198 – Directed Studies in Ethnobotany and Ethnoecology
- 2002 BIO 315 – Human Impact on the Environment
- 2002 PLB 141 – Principles and Methods of Ethnobotany
- 2002 PLB 290 – Ethnoecology and Biocultural Diversity
GRANTS & AWARDS
- National Institutes of Health International Collaborative Biodiversity Group Grant No. RFA-TW-08-003 Biodiversity Surveys in Indonesia
- National Science Foundation RCN-UBE Grant No. DBI-0840946 Education Network in Ethnobiology
- National Science Foundation IGERT – UC Davis Biological Invasions Fellowship
- Indonesian Ministry of Forestry Training Grants
- University of California Pacific Rim Research Grant
- University of California Research Expeditions Program – Field Research Grants
- U.S. Fulbright Commission – Student Award for Research in Indonesia
- San José State University Signature Event Award
- San José State University Award for Best Practices in Information Literacy
- San José State University College of Humanities Dean’s Grant
- TEDxWomen 2016 Grant
LITERARY WORKS AND [NEWS]MAGAZINE ARTICLES
Pfeiffer, J. 2019. “Class Divisions.” Forthcoming in Inverted Syntax January 2019.
Pfeiffer, J. 2018. “The Language of Silence.” Forthcoming in Camas Winter 2018.
Pfeiffer, J. 2018. “A Heart. A Monster.” Silver Needle Press Fall 2018.
Pfeiffer, J. 2018. “Of Fur Not Fowl (Or How Not to Catch a Tiger.” The Citron Review Fall 2018.
Pfeiffer, J. 2018. “Photocopy.” Sky Island Journal No. 4, Spring 2018.
Pfeiffer, J. 2018. “Where the Buffalo Roam?” Finalist in national essay contest. Flyway Journal of Writing and the Environment Spring 2018.
Pfeiffer, J. 2018. “We need a bigger conversation about bullying in academia.” The Guardian, January 26, 2018.
Pfeiffer, J. 2018. “We have better options than killing bison.” High Country News, January 18, 2018.
Pfeiffer, J. 2017. “Students collaborate with California tribes.” SJSU College of Humanities & the Arts, Expressions.
Pfeiffer, J. 2017. “Bite Me.” Lowestoft Chronicle.
Pfeiffer, J. 2016. “My Roadkill Habit.” Finalist in Hunger Mountain creative nonfiction essay contest. http://hungermtn.org/contests/
Pfeiffer, J. with B. Goldfarb and M. Serpas. M. Wendel, ed. May 18th, 2015. Writing and the Environment, A Roundtable Discussion. Bellevue Literary Review.
Pfeiffer, J. 2015. “Until We Have Loved.” Finalist in national essay contest. Hippocampus Magazine, November Issue (Nominated for a Pushcart Prize), Included in Selected Memories: Five Years of Hippocampus Magazine (2017), Donna Talarico, ed., pages 61-71.
Pfeiffer, J. 2014. “All Our Relations.” Bellevue Literary Review special issue “Our Fragile Environment.” (Nominated for a Pushcart Prize and the John Burroughs Nature Essay Award.)
Pfeiffer, J. 2014. “Yes.” Between the Lines (Inaugural issue). Oakland: Holy Names University. [online] URL
Pfeiffer, J. 2014. “A dissertation on the pit latrine. Nowhere 11:11.
Pfeiffer, J. with 7 other authors. 2014. “Interactive learning about biocultural diversity: university students engage tribes.” Langscape 3(1):54-61.http://www.terralinguaubuntu.org/Langscape/home.htm
Pfeiffer, J.M., with the Tado and Waerebo Communities, and Lizzie Gish. 2010. Countering the Loss of Knowledge, Practices, and Species on Flores Island. Pages 55-58 in L. Maffi and E. Woodley, eds., Biocultural Diversity Conservation: A Global Sourcebook. Earthscan Publications, London and Washington DC. ISBN 978-1-84407-929-9. [A previous version is available as Pages 81-87 in in L. Maffi and E. Woodley, eds., Global Source Book for Biocultural Diversity: Worldwide Experiences in an Integrated Approach to Sustaining Cultures and Biodiversity. http://www.terralingua.org **
Pfeiffer, J.M.. and R. Voeks. 2008. Biological invasions and biocultural diversity: linking ecological and cultural systems. Environmental Conservation 35(4):1-13. doi:10.1017/S0376892908005146 **
Pfeiffer, J.M., Mia, R., Erni, B. and I. Faridah. 2007. Traditional remedies for women’s and children’s health issues on Flores Island. Pages 223-233 in Sutarjadi, et al., editors, Women’s Health and Traditional Medicine. Surabaya: Airlangga University Press.
J.M. Pfeiffer and E. Huerta Ortiz. 2007. Invasive plants impact California native plants used in traditional basketry. Fremontia 35(1):7-13. **
Pfeiffer, J.M., Dun, S., Mulawarman, B. and K. J. Rice. 2006. Biocultural diversity in traditional rice-based agroecosystems: indigenous research and conservation of mavo (Oryza sativa L.) upland rice landraces of eastern Indonesia. Invited submission for special edition of Environment, Development, and Sustainability 8(4):609-625. Published online at DOI: 10.1007/s10668-006-9047-2. **
Pfeiffer, J.M. and R.J. Butz. 2005. Assessing cultural and ecological variation in ethnobiological research: the importance of gender. Journal of Ethnobiology 25(2): 240-278. **
Pfeiffer, J., and Y. Uril. 2003. The role of indigenous parataxonomists in botanical inventory: from Herbarium Amboinense to Herbarium Floresensis. Telopea 10(1): 61-72. **
Pfeiffer, J. and E. Espeland. 2003. Book Review. Egan, D. and E. A. Howell, editors. 2001. The historical ecology handbook: a restorationists’ guide to reference ecosystems. Island Press, Washington, D. C., USA. Society & Ecology 7(1):11. [online] URL: http://www.consecol.org/vol7/iss1/art11
Pfeiffer, J. 2002. Gendered interpretations of biocultural diversity in Eastern Indonesia: ethnoecology in the transition zone. Pages 43-63 in: H. Lansdowne, W. Neilson and P. Dearden eds., Communities in Southeast Asia: Challenges and Responses. Victoria (Canada): Centre for Asia Pacific Initiatives.
** Articles used in undergraduate/graduate/professional certificate courses at UC Davis, University of Florida, University of Rhode Island, Universität für Bodenkultur Wien (Austria), University of Kent, Dartmouth College, San Jose State University, and California State University-Fullerton.
BOOKS & BOOK CHAPTERS
J Pfeiffer featured as a case study in “The Professor and Her Champion,” pages 134-145 in Mok, K. 2018. Modern House Bus: Mobile Tiny House Inspirations. New York: The Countryman Press.
Pearce, C and J Pfeiffer with San José State University students. 2018. Pomo Cradle Baskets: An Introduction. 24 pages. Beauty & Love Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9997535-1-4
EL Dollar story illustrated by San José State University students with S Smith-Ferri and J Pfeiffer. 2018. Waterdog & the Love Charm. 72 pages. Beauty & Love Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9997535-0-7
Wilburn, S and J Pfeifferwith San José State University students. 2018.The Beadwork of Stewart Wilburn. 24 pages. Beauty & Love Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9997535-2-1
Pfeiffer, J. “Until We Have Loved,” pages 40-49 in Tabios, ER, ed., 2018.Humanity: An Anthology, Volume 1. San Mateo, Paloma Press.
Pfeiffer, J. “Until We Have Loved,” pages 61-71 in Talarico, D, ed., 2017.Selected Memories: Five Years of Hippocampus Magazine. Hippocampus Magazine and Books.
Peter P, N Lara, and J Pfeiffer. 2015. Stewart Wilburn. 29-page picture book.
Pfeiffer JM with the Tado Community. 2012. Once Sacred Fruits – Human and Cultural Ecology of the Manggarai, Flores Island Indonesia: Community-Based Biocultural Diversity. Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany. ISBN 978-3-659-15512-3
Pfeiffer JM. 2011. Case study in C.J. Ellick and J.E. Watkins, eds., The Anthropology Graduate’s Guide: From Student to A Career. Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press.
Pfeiffer J., Wyse Jackson, D., and P. S. Wyse Jackson. 1998. The Establishment of a Computerized Collections Registration System for Kebun Raya Indonesia. BGCI News 3(1) [online] URL: http://www.bgci.org/worldwide/article/0046/
Suhirman and Pfeiffer, J., editors. 1995. The Role of Flora in the World Economy and Its Conservation. Bogor:Kebun Raya Indonesia.
Suhirman, Butler, G., Fuaddini, Pfeiffer, J., Richardson, M. and Suhendar, editors. 1994. Strategies for Flora Conservation in Asia. Bogor:Kebun Raya Indonesia.
REPORTS & WHITE PAPERS
Pfeiffer J and the Smith River Rancheria. August 2011. “Factual Record of Current and Historical Uses by the Tolowa (Taa-laa-wa Dee-ni’) of Smith River Rancheria within the proposed State Marine Conservation Areas and Special Closures of Del Norte County.”
Pfeiffer J. January 2011. “Native Science, Harvesting, and Conservation.”
Pfeiffer J. November 1998. “Supervision Report from the Social Mobilization Specialist.” International Fund for Agricultural Development Poverty Alleviation Project in Western Terai (Nepal). UNOPS Project No. NEP/97/F02
Pfeiffer J. December 1997. “Rural Sociologist’s Report: Mid-Term Review Evaluation.” International Fund for Agricultural Development South Sumatra Smallholders Tree Crop Development Project.
Pfeiffer J. December 1997. “Sociologist’s Report: Mid-Term Review Evaluation.” International Fund for Agricultural Development Eastern Islands Smallholder Cashew Development Project for Indonesia.
Pfeiffer J, Zulminarni, N and KT Wusananingsih. May 1997. Sociologist’s Report; Joint Asian Development Bank (ADB)/ International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) Loan Fact Finding Mission. Rural Income Generation Project for Indonesia.
Pfeiffer J, Zulminarni, N and KT Wusananingsih. January 1997. “Beneficiary Profiles, Targeting, and Monitoring; Sociologist’s Annex.” ADB Rural Income Generation Project for Indonesia. ADB TAR:INO 29456.
Pfeiffer J. October 1996. “Informe Final.” Consultoría en Seguimiento y Evaluación; Proyecto de Diversificación de Cultivos y Servicios Agrícolas – Región Continental. IFAD Project No. 263-EQ [UNOPS EQG/95/01] in Equatorial Guinea.
Pfeiffer J. April 1996. “Informe preliminar á la Dirección. Consultoría á la Unidad de Seguimiento y Evaluación y al Proyecto.” Proyecto de Producción Campesina y Comercialización. IFAD Project No. 358-EQ [UNOPS EQG/93/F01] in Equatorial Guinea.
Pfeiffer J. January 1996. “Socio-Economic Baseline Study.” Indonesia Integrated Pest Management for Smallholder Estate Crops Project. United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization Investment Centre for the Asian Development Bank.
MICRO-DOCUMENTARIES & FILMS
Magaster, D with Pfeiffer, J. 2017. University Science Professor Decides to Live Carbon Neutral in a Shuttle Bus.11 minutes.
Pfeiffer, J.2015. Climate Change & Indigenous Peoples. Presented at the SUNY-Plattsburgh Adirondack Climate Reality Conference. 32 minutes.
Pfeiffer, J. 2014. Wet Mouth. A poem set to music and images. Debuted at the Fishtrap Writer’s Conference in Wallowa, Oregon. 3 minutes.
Pfeiffer, J. 2014.Clear Lake Hitch: A Threatened Keystone. Presented as part of public testimony at the August 6, 2014 California Fish and Game Commission meeting in San Diego (CA) where the hitch was officially listed as a threatened species. 3 minutes.